The results described are not typical and will vary based on a variety of factors.
- 6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- 1 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin or turkey
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup merlot or other fruity red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1/4 cup (2 ounce) shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Remove casings from sausage.
Add sausage, onion, and the next 4 ingredients (onion through
jalapeno) to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are
browned, stirring to crumble.
Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through
bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover,
reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.
Yields 4 servings (serving size: 1 and 1/4 cups Chili and 1 tbsp
Like most Chilis, this version tastes even better the next day.